'About Us' - Polish Heritage

Home Page / About Us Home Page / Anna's Page / Marysia's Page / The Parents

Poland imagery

You can do so much artwork with a decent history and imaginative national emblem - the crowned one-headed eagle (restored in 2018)!

Poland - a Nation of many rich and Colourful Local Community Identities

Be Proud of your Polish heritage

"Be Proud - you're Polish"

Map of Poland

Map of Poland (post 1945) showing the locations of the abundance of National Costumes worn with pride!

Mock medieval style map of post-war Poland

This is a great illustrated map of post-war Poland in medieval style - I love it! - Image sourced from : slowianowierstwo.wordpress.com

Marie Curie Sklodowska - National Heroine

Marie Curie Top Poll Woman

- Marie Curie beats Margaret Thatcher, Jane Austen and Princess Diana to be voted the most influential woman ever
Polish cancer researcher was voted most influential by experts for BBC poll
- Rosa Parks who championed the US civil rights movement came second
- British suffragette who fought for women's rights came in third place

By Neil Sears for the Daily Mail | Published: 9th August 2018 | Updated: 9th August 2018

Politics, science, sport, technology and literature... it's impossible to find an area where women haven't made a powerful impact.
So the task of finding the female figure who has made the greatest contribution was always going to be a tough one.
But experts have finally narrowed it down – and named Marie Curie as the woman who did the most to change the world.
The scientist, whose discoveries in the field of radiation helped develop X-rays and cancer treatments, beat Margaret Thatcher, Princess Diana and Jane Austen in a poll by BBC History Magazine.

In second place was Rosa Parks, the civil rights movement activist who protested against racial segregation in the US by refusing to give up her seat on a bus to a white passenger. British suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst came third.

Curie was the first to win two Nobel prizes – one in physics and one in chemistry – and coined the word 'radiation'.
She had a tough childhood in her native Poland, then under oppressive Russian rule. Her mother died when she was ten and she had to work as a young governess for six years. Going on to study at the Sorbonne in Paris, she met fellow physicist Pierre Curie, and the pair dedicated their lives to science. She began cracking the secrets of radioactivity in their primitive laboratory in a shed.

Curie helped fit X-ray machines to ambulances in the First World War while working for the Red Cross, and suffered leukaemia from long-term exposure to radiation. She died in 1934 aged 66. Patricia Fara, of the British Society for the History of Science, said: 'She was the first person – note the use of person there, not woman – to win a second Nobel prize. The odds were always stacked against her.' Readers were given a list of 100 women to choose from, selected by experts in ten fields of human endeavour.

Some of the less familiar names include computer programmer Ada Lovelace, 19th-century philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts and crystallographer Rosalind Franklin, who helped crack the structure of DNA. Other figures in the top 20 include early feminist writer Mary Wollstonecraft, women's rights activist Josephine Butler and queen Eleanor of Aquitaine – one of the most powerful women of the Middle Ages.
BBC History Magazine deputy editor Charlotte Hodgman said: 'The poll has shone a light on some truly extraordinary women from history.'

2018 - Iga Swiatek - Rising Sports Star

Polish Olympic committee Logo

Iga Swiatek taking the Olympic Oath

Screen shot of Iga Świątek's interview during the Olympic swearing in ceremony

Iga Swiatek Flag Bearer

Proud Young Olympian Flag Bearer Iga Świątek Buenos Aires 2018 - image courtesy & © of Szyman Sikora/Polski Komitet Olimpijski (Polish Olympic committee)

1939 - 45 - "City of Krakow" 308 Fighter Squadron

308 Spitfire in 308 and Poland Livery

One of the 308 Fighter Squadron Spitfires displaying the 308 and Polish Chequerboard emblems now housed protectively in the Polish Aviation Museum -image sourced from & © of The Polish Aviation Museum

308 Squadron Emblem

The emblem for the 'City of Kraków' 308 Fighter Squadron - image sourced from and courtesy of Wikipedia

Embroidered version of the 308 Emblem

Embroidered 308 Fighter Squadron badge - image sourced from : themilitaryplace.com


This squadron was formed in September 1940 and by November was operational, flying Hawker Hurricanes from an RAF base near Coventry, England. It later moved to RAF Chicolton and became part of the 10th Fighter Group flying Spitfires and Hurricanes. Like the 303, it also had a distinguished combat record and claimed its first victory in November when one of its pilots shot down a Luftwaffe fighter. This squadron was decommissioned in December 1946 after WWII ended. Hand embroidered with gold wire bullion on a black wool felt background. Source : themilitaryplace.com

The full and very comprehensive history of the 308 "City of Krakow" Fighter Squadron can be found here

Extract :

The unit before and during the Polish campaign in September 1939.

When Boleslaw Orlinski flew his famous flight Warsaw-Tokyo-Warsaw in 1926, the fuselage of his plane was adorned with the insignia of the 308 Squadron, the golden winged arrow closed in a black square. This emblem was designed at 121 Eskadra (squadron) of the 11th Pulk (air regiment) in Lida, northeastern part of Poland. At that time pattern was silver on the blue background. In 1929 Polish Air Force was reorganized and 121, together with 122 (emblem of origami-type pony), were moved to Krakow. With addition of 123 Eskadra (emblem of seagull in square) they formed Krakow's 2nd Fighter Regiment. At this moment, the true history of the 308 Squadron begins at this point.

Squadron's recreation in England - Defending Midland. 9 September 1940 - 23 June 1941

For three weeks, operating from Chilbolton, the unit flew intensively over the channel, closing the period of eight busy months of service in Midlands. It is worth noticing that over extended period between 1940 and 1941, the unit was the only squadron defending this part of England.

Fighter offensive over the Northern France. 24 June 1941 - 13 December 1941

Year 1941, the squadron closed up totalling 52 Luftwaffe's aircraft destroyed, 9 probable and 13 damaged, making over 1,200 operational flights. "Krakowski" lost 13 pilots killed and 6 POW, of which one later returned to the unit. In its books, 22 Spitfires were lost (cat. E), and 6 were damaged. During these six months - from June 24 till December 12 - No. 308 Squadron achieved the biggest number of victories in Fighter Command for year 1941, and as the CO, S/Ldr Pisarek, set a standard of excellence in the Polish Air Force, which was hardly matched ever after.

Defending the Island - over Northwestern Europe. 13 December 1941 - 28 September 1943

At the end of the summer, the 308 moved to Heston. Soon after two more pilots were lost: F/O Jurewicz and Sgt Lipiec, both killed over France. Meantime, via Gibraltar, Czerwinski came back to squadron and resumed flying; during the late stages of the war he was shot down again and killed flying with Mustang squadron. (Czerwinski Andrzej, killed on 7 Dec 1944 at No. 315 Squadron).

Before the Invasion. 29 September 1943 - 5 June 1944

The 308 lost three pilots during huge Rhubarb operation on German supply lines in northern France: P/O Piotrowski, P/O Kurowski and F/O Jeka. The first two were killed, while the latter one returned to the unit two months later. On June 5th, the unit patrolled over the amassed invasion force and later that evening, pilots were briefed on the operations "Overlord" and "Neptune". Hardly anybody slept the remaining few hours before the D-Day. The day was coming when the first step back to Poland was about to be made, and many embraced the moment for which they waited for four years. In the early morning hours, their hearts were with the troops in the overflying gliders and Dakotas.

During the Invasion - Flying behind the German 7th Army. 6 June 1944 - 5 September 1944

The D-Day, June 6th, 1944, the squadron spent patrolling over the western side of the invasion force, witnessing the biggest military operation in history. That day the 308 made four, twelve aircraft sorties. Afterwards, the unit's service can be divided into few phases, noting however, that from time to time, it was recalled to perform escort duties in big raids. Toward the end of August, the Allies pushed the Germans past the Seine, what started a chaotic German retreat from France. In August 1944, the 308 totalled 719 operational sorties, dropping 82,000 lbs of bombs.

In the pursuit of the enemy - over Holland. 6 September 1944 - 14 January 1945

This was the last combat for the 308. F/O Powierza and F/O Chojnacki were lost in it. Polish Spitfires landed with dried tanks and some force landed in a vicinity of the airfield. In became apparent, that although not in the combat for many months, pilots stayed in a top fighter shape. The New Year 1945 was a prominent milestone along the squadron's course.

During the last months - V Day. 15 January 1945 - 8 May 1945

During this last five months of the war, pilots flew some 1,500 operational sorties, dropping over half a million (?!!.WR) bombs. They were credited with over 10 enemy aircraft shot down and two damaged. Some 300 motor vehicles were destroyed. The 308 losses during this period were 6 pilots: Sgt Breyner died in hospital following a flying accident; F/O Wardzinski and F/O Dremlewicz were shot down (15 and 20 March) over the enemy held territory, but returned safely to the unit; Sgt Wierzejewski killed in a flying accident (6 December 1944); plus two pilots killed in combat over B.61. F/O Szczerbinski was killed in May (In fact, No. 317 Squadron's pilot. WR).


After the war, together with the 131 Polish Fighter Wing, the 308 became part of the British Air Force of Occupation (BAFO), created from the units of the 2 TAF. In this service, the unit remained for the next seventeen months. After that time, the unit returned to England to be disbanded. The squadron's personnel were given a free choice as what to do with its nearest future. As victorious Allies, the unit took active role in organizing help to Polish citizens not willing to go back to their country occupied by a foreign power and ruled by its agents. After six years of fighting alongside the Allies, the squadron's members had to witness a tragedy unveiling over their brothers in arms from the Polish campaign, soldiers of the Warsaw Uprising, thousands of their compatriots suffering in concentration camps or forced labour for their resistance against the occupying forces. The decision not to come back to Poland taken by vast majority of the members, after the unit was disbanded, is a symbol of a won war and lost peace; unfulfilled dreams, for which so many lost their lives believing in a better future. During these five years of war, the "Krakowski" squadron added to the glory of the Polish Air Force. In their efforts, its members were always fully aware of their goal of final victory for the Allies and Poland free of Nazi occupation. Today when our homeland is totally under the control of a foreign, hostile power, many soldiers of the 308 decided to stay in exile and not to give up their goals. Thus, the fight for the free Poland continues...

Fact or Fiction?

1939 - 45 - From a Native American Indian Tribe to the Polish Underground (Armia Krajowa). Sat-Okh, NAI, fought for Poland.

Z indianskiego plemienia do partyzantki AK. Sat-Okh - Indianin, który walczył dla Polski.

Marcin Kamiński - 30th January 2016 | Nie Zapomnij O Nas, Powstańcach Warszawskich | #NieZapomnijONas

Native Americal Chief who fought for Poland in WW!!

Wojna uwięziła go w Polsce, do walki zmusiły okoliczności. Uciekł z pociągu do Oświęcimia i walczył w leśnym oddziale AK.

The war trapped him in Poland, circumstances forced him into combat. He escaped from a train heading for Auschwitz and became a partisan and fought in a forestry division of the Armia Krajowa (Homeland Army).

Indianin, który walczył wśród Polaków w drugiej wojnie światowej - brzmi to dość nieprawdopodobnie. Stanisław Supłatowicz - znany szerzej jako Sat-Okh, Długie Pióro - jest jednak postacią jak najbardziej rzeczywistą.

A NAI who fought amongst Poles duting WWII - sounds a bit unlikely eh? Stanisław Supłatowicz - known widely as Sat-Okh, 'Second Feather' - is however a very real person.

Życie Sat-Okha było pełne zawirowań, swoje zrobiła też ludzka wyobraźnia. Dlatego też nie do końca wiadomo, jak rzeczywiście wyglądały jego losy. Dziś stał się postacią nieco zapomnianą - zupełnie niesłusznie. Przeczytajcie.

Sat-Okh led a turbulent life and his story was embellished by people's imagination, Because of this, right to the end it is difficult to determine his actual fate. Sadly today he is largely an unnecessarily forgotten figure - read on.

Z Syberii na Alaske - From Siberia to Alaska

Jak Sat-Okh znalazł się w Polsce? Cofnijmy się do 1905 roku. Wtedy to pierwszy mąż Stanisławy Supłatowicz, matki Sat-Okha, w wyniku carskich prześladowań, został zesłany na Syberię. Stanisława podążyła za małżonkiem na wygnanie, jednak na miejscu okazało się, że ten jest poważnie chory. Umarł kilka tygodni po jej przybyciu.

How did Sat-Okh find himself in Poland? Let's go back to 1905. It was at that time that his mother Stanisława Supłatowicz's first husband had been betrayed by the Tsar's secret police and condemned to incarceration in Siberia. Stanisława followed her husband into exile only to discover when she gor there that he was terminally ill. He died a few weeks after her arrival.

Musząc samotnie stawić czoła losowi, Stanisława uznała, że musi uciec z Rosji. W 1917 roku wybuchła rewolucja październikowa. Kobieta postanowiła skorzystać z chaosu, jaki zrodził przewrót i udała się na Alaskę. Wraz jedenastoma innymi osobami podjęła ryzykowną przeprawę przez cieśninę Beringa - w czółnach grupa musiała pokonać ponad 80 km. Wielu zginęło, ale jej się udało.

Left on her own to cope with her loss Stanisława realised she had to escape from Russia. In 1917 the October Revolution broke out. She took advantage of the chaos that ensued and escaped to Alaska. Along with a handful of other escapees she risked crossing the Bering Straits ina canoe manoevring a distance of some 80 kn. Many died, but she was lucky and survived,

Z Alaski wyruszyła do Kanady i tam znalazła schronienie u członków plemienia Shawnee. Przyjęła indiańskie imię Biały Obłok i wyszła za Wysokiego Orła, syna przywódcy plemienia. Z tego związku urodziła się trójka dzieci, z których najmłodszy był Sat-Okh.

From Alaska she set out for Canada and found shelter with the Shawnee tribe. She took the NAI name 'White Cloud' and married 'High/Tall Eagle', the Chief's son. This union produced three children, the yougest of which was Sat-Okh.

Shawnee stali się jej nową rodziną, ale Stanisława tęskniła też za dawnym domem. W 1918 roku Polska odzyskała niepodległość, lecz do niej ta wiadomość dotarła dopiero w roku 1937. Wtedy też postanowiła odwiedzić rodzinny kraj. Chciała pokazać ojczyznę także dzieciom, lecz Wysoki Orzeł pozwolił jej zabrać jedynie najmłodszego syna. W Polsce mieli pozostać tylko pół roku, ale uwięził ich wybuch wojny. Sat-Okh miał wtedy 17 lat.

The Shawnee became her new family but Stanisława was homesick for her native Poland. In 1918 Poland regained her independence, but the news did no reach her unti 1937. That was when she decided to visit her former homeland. She wanted to introduce her children to her native land but High/Tall Eagle only allowed her to take their youngest son. They were only to have spent six months in Poland but the outbreak of WWII prevented their return. Sat-Okh was then only 17 years old.

Indianin w AK - A Native American Indian in the Polish Underground

Mieszkał w Radomiu. Wraz z matką starali się pomagać radomskim Żydom. - Mieliśmy taki prostokątny pokój. Moja matka zrobiła go na kwadrat, ściana była zrobiona sztucznie i za tą ścianą ukrywała się młoda żydowska dziewczyna. Została z nami do końca wojny. Moja matka uratowała jej życie - opowiadał Sat-Okh w filmie dokumentalnym "Wojownik z urodzenia" Klaudiusza Jankowskiego. Mimo wojny, Sat-Okh starał się prowadzić normalne życie. Los nie pozwolił mu na to. Zdał maturę na tajnych kompletach i pracował na poczcie, ale zaczęli interesować się nim Niemcy - jego wygląd odstawał od aryjskiego ideału czystości rasowej.

He lived in Radom. Together with his mother the tried to help and provide aid to the Radom Jews. 'We had this rectangular room and my mother divided it into quarters, we put in a false wall and were able to hide a young Jewish girl in there. She stayed with us until the end of the war. My mother saved her life' described Sat-Okh in a documentary entitled 'Born to Fight' by Klaudiusz Jankowski. Despite the war raging around him Sat-Okh tried to lead a normal life. Fate,of course, had different ideas. He completed his schooling in an underground establishment and worked for the Post Office, where he, unhappily, caught the attention of the German - his looks did not match up to the Aryan racial ideal.

Aresztowano go w 1940 roku. Przez dwanaście miesięcy siedział w więzieniu gestapo w Radomiu, skąd miał trafić doobozu koncentracyjnego w Oświęcimiu. Udało mu się jednak zbiec z transportu - wraz z grupą współwięźniów sforsował niedomknięte drzwi wagonu i wyskoczył z pociągu w pobliżu miejscowości Tunel w Małopolsce. Z ucieczki nie wyszedł bez szwanku - strażnicy postrzelili go w nogę. W ukryciu leczył się pół roku. W 1943 roku wstąpił do AK i otrzymał pseudonim "Kozak". Dzięki indiańskiemu wychowaniu potrafił znakomicie jeździć konno, posługiwać się nożem i bezszelestnie poruszać po lesie.

He was arrested in 1940. For twelve months he was incarcerated in the Gestapo prison in Radom which would in turn take him on to the Concentration Camp at Auschwitz. However he escaped from the transportation; together with the aid if a group of prisoners in the same wagon they were able to force a partially opened door sufficiently for him to squeeze out and jump to freedom close to Tunel in Małopolska. He didn't get away cleanly as the guards managed to shoot and wound him in the leg. It took him half a year to recover in hiding. In 1943 he joined the Polish Underground (Armia Krajowa) and was given the nickname 'Kozak.' Thanks to his NAI heritage he was a highly skilled horse rider, remarkably adept with a knife and could move noiselessly through the forest.

Umiejętności te okazały się bezcenne dla leśnego oddziału "Bończy", w którym służył - prowadził rekonesans, brał udział w napadach na niemieckie transporty i odbijał więźniów. Uczył też sztuki przeżycia innych żołnierzy. Niektórzy z jego kolegów w oddziale dopiero dzięki niemu nauczyli się jak korzystać z noża w walce. Aby mylić Niemców, wypracował specyficzną technikę poruszania się. Polegała na maszerowaniu tyłem, tak aby zostawić ślady sugerujące zupełnie inny kierunek marszu, niż w rzeczywistości. - Ten indiański sposób poruszania przyjął się w całym oddziale - mówił generał Kazimierz Załęski "Bończa", ówczesny dowódca Sat-Okha.

His skills were invaluable to the forestry division "Bończy" in which he served and excelled at reconnaissance, played a leading role in ambushing german transports and freeing prisoners. He also passed on his knowledge and talents to his soldier-comrades. In some cases his friends in the company received survival training for the first time enabling them to become superior knife fighters with the skills he passed on to them. To confound the Germans he invented a specific way of moving around the forest so as to mislead them. It all hinged on the art of moving backwards to give the impression that they had come from a different direction. 'This skill set was embraced by the whole company' said General Kazimierz Załęski formerly "Fredro" and Sat-Okha's commander.

Powojenne losy - Post-War Losses

72 Pułk Piechoty AK, w skład którego wchodził oddział Sat-Okha został rozwiązany pod koniec 1944 roku, jednak zołnierze "Bończy" postanowili pozostać w lesie i czekać na rozkazy. Z lasu wyszli gdy wojna była już oficjalnie zakończona. Za służbę w AK siedział przez jakiś czas w więzieniu, następnie został wcielony do marynarki wojennej. Potem pływał w marynarce handlowej, na statkach "Bolesław Chrobry" i "Batory". Mieszkał w Gdańsku. Został odznaczony m.in. Krzyżem Walecznych i Medalem Wojska Polskiego. Był popularyzatorem kultury indiańskiej i autorem wielu powieści przygodowych. Zmarł 3 lipca 2003 roku w Szpitalu Marynarki Wojennej w Gdańsku.

The 72nd Foot Brigade of the AK of which Sat-Okha's division was an integral part was disbanded towards the end of 1944, however the members of the forestry division "Bończa" elected to stay in the forest and await further orders. They emerged from the forest after the war had been declared over. For serving with a partisan group he was imprisoned for a short while and then drafted into the Navy. After that he joined the Merchant Navy servin on the ships "Bolesław Chrobry"and "Batory". He lived in Gdańsk. He received the 'Cross of Valous' and the 'Polish Army Medal'. He popularised NAI culture and wrote many short stories. He died on 3rd July 2003 in the Naval Hospital in Gdańsk.

W pracy nad tekstem opierałem się na filmie dokumentalnym "Wojownik z urodzenia" Klaudiusza Jankowskiego i pracy naukowej "Stanisław Supłatowicz. Niezwykła biografia Sat-Okha, czyli jak się zostaje legendą" Katarzyny Krępulec.

Author;s note : Whilst writing this article I relied heavily on the 'Born to Fight' documentary by Klaudiusz Jankowski and the instructive essay "Stanisław Supłatowicz. The unusual biography of Sat-Okha, how to become a legend." by Katarzyna Krępulec.

Sat-Okh (c. 1920 – July 3, 2003), also known as Stanisław Supłatowicz

"Biało-czerwony. Tajemnica Sat-Okha", czyli historia wielkiej mistyfikacji | PUBLIKACJA: 18.10.2017 Ksiazka | Dariusz Rosiak

Sat-Okh Polish Cherokee Biography Book Cover

Book Cover of the biography(published by Czarne) entitled 'Sat-Okh's Secret' - image sourced from wiedzmowa-glowologia.blogspot

Review by Agata Szwedowicz:

Sat-Okh, wbrew temu, co utrzymywał, nie był synem indiańskiego wodza, tylko zagubionym chłopcem z Radomia, którego matka pocieszała bajkami o egzotycznym pochodzeniu - pisze Dariusz Rosiak w biografii najsłynniejszego polskiego Indianina. "Rzeźbił marzenia. W komunistycznej, schorowanej Polsce pojawił się ktoś, kto opowiadał piękną historię z obcego, niedosięgłego świata. Ktoś, kto mówił o szlachetnych ludziach z niezachwianym poczuciem wartości. (...) Kanadyjski Indianin jest jednym z nas, Polaków" - pisze Dariusz Rosiak o Sat-Okhu, który był bohaterem wyobraźni kilku pokoleń.

Przedstawiał się jako Długie Pióro, syn wodza Wysokiego Orła z plemienia Szewanezów oraz Polki Stanisławy Supłatowicz, która podążyła na Syberię za mężem, zesłanym za udział w rewolucji 1905 roku. Mąż zmarł, a ona sama w 1917 roku uciekła z Czukotki razem z grupą zesłańców, którzy na pokładzie tratwy przebyli Cieśninę Beringa i dostali się na Alaskę. W Kanadzie chora Supłatowicz została porzucona przez towarzyszy podróży i przypadkiem odnaleziona przez Szawanezów. Ich wódz - Wysoki Orzeł - ożenił się z białą nieznajomą, urodziła im się trójka dzieci, z których najmłodszym miał być Sat-Okh. Podobno dorastał wśród Indian, przeszedł inicjację wojownika. Pewnego dnia uratowany z łap niedźwiedzia podróżny przekazał informację o odzyskaniu przez Polskę niepodległości i Stanisława z synem ruszyli do ojczyzny.

Sat-Okh podawał, że wrócili w 1937 lub 1938 roku. Podczas wyrabiania metryki matka zmieniła część danych, ukrywając jego indiańskie pochodzenie - jako miejsce urodzenia wpisano Aleksiejewkę w Rosji, jako ojca wpisano Leona Supłatowicza, pierwszego męża matki. Zamieszkali w Radomiu. Jak głosi legenda, po klęsce 1939 roku Sat-Okh uczył się na tajnych kompletach oraz zaangażował się w działalność konspiracyjną. W 1940 roku został aresztowany przez Gestapo i skierowany do obozu koncentracyjnego w Auschwitz, jednak podczas transportu wyskoczył z wagonu i uciekł. Następnie został żołnierzem Armii Krajowej (ps. "Kozak"), walczył w III batalionie 72 pułku piechoty AK w rejonie Częstochowy, w Okręgu AK "Jodła". W partyzantce przydały się mu indiańskie umiejętności: strzelał do Niemców z łuku, mylił tropy, polował na zwierzynę i leczył ziołami. Pokonanych Niemców skalpował, jak jego indiańscy przodkowie.

Sat-Okh utrzymywał, że po wojnie za przynależność do AK został aresztowany i uwięziony. Potem przez wiele lat pływał jako marynarz na statkach Polskich Linii Oceanicznych, w tym na MS Batory. Osiadł na stałe w Gdańsku założył rodzinę, a w 1958 roku zaczął pisać książki o swojej indiańskiej przeszłości. W latach 70. stał się bardzo znany, uczestniczył w programach dla młodzieży, ukazywały się kolejne jego działa. Uważany za jednego z pionierów ruchu indianistów w Polsce, współtwórcę i czołową postać nieformalnego Polskiego Ruchu Przyjaciół Indian, wyrabiał indiańskie ozdoby, malował, tańczył, śpiewał indiańskie tańce, nawet leczył jako szaman.

Dariusz Rosiak, który pamięta Sat-Okha z dzieciństwa, po latach postanowił prześledzić życiorys polskiego Indianina i wpadł w labirynt sprzecznych relacji, informacji wzajemnie się wykluczających. Już sprawa blizn na ciele Sat-Okha miała kilkanaście wersji. Podobno na statku podczas sztormu z klatek wyrwały się trzy tygrysy i Sat-Okh własnoręcznie je wyłapał, choć dzikie koty bardzo go poraniły. Innym razem mówił, że rękę skaleczył mu niedźwiedź, istnieje też wersja opowieści z pumą. Rosiak dotarł też do takich, którym Sat-Okh przedstawiał blizny jako ślady po walce z dwoma rysiami, zbiegłymi z gdańskiego ZOO. Podobnie do sprawy pochodzenia blizn rozwijały się niemal wszystkie próby zweryfikowania konkretów z opowieści Supłatowicza.

Im głębiej Rosiak wchodził w życie Sat-Okha, tym więcej miał wątpliwości. Czy jego matka uciekała spod Irkucka, czy z wcześniej została przeniesiona na Czukotkę? Przepłynęła Cieśninę Beringa na tratwie, czy przeszła po lodzie? I kiedy to się działo? Czy jeszcze przed rewolucją? Kiedy właściwie Supłatowicz siedział w stalinowskim więzieniu? Tuż po wojnie, czy dużo później, po służbie w marynarce?

Przedstawiał się jako Długie Pióro, syn wodza Wysokiego Orła z plemienia Szewanezów oraz Polki Stanisławy Supłatowicz, która podążyła na Syberię za mężem, zesłanym za udział w rewolucji 1905 roku. Mąż zmarł, a ona sama w 1917 roku uciekła z Czukotki razem z grupą zesłańców, którzy na pokładzie tratwy przebyli Cieśninę Beringa i dostali się na Alaskę. W Kanadzie chora Supłatowicz została porzucona przez towarzyszy podróży i przypadkiem odnaleziona przez Szawanezów. Ich wódz - Wysoki Orzeł - ożenił się z białą nieznajomą, urodziła im się trójka dzieci, z których najmłodszym miał być Sat-Okh.

Jak pisze Rosiak, z pewnością Stanisław Supłatowicz pseudonim "Kozak" był żołnierzem AK, z pewnością ryzykował życiem i zasłużył na wysokie odznaczenia, które otrzymał, jak Krzyż Walecznych. Ale już historia z aresztowaniem przez gestapo za czytanie gazetek podziemnych, raczej na pewno jest fałszywa. W Archiwum Państwowym w Radomiu zachowała się teczka z tamtych czasów - Stanisław Supłatowicz siedział za kradzież, zwolniono go w marcu 1942 roku po dziesięciu miesiącach aresztu. Po odbyciu kary nie został skierowany do Auschwitz, trafił na wolność.

Najwięcej wątpliwości budziło pochodzenie Sat-Okha. Odnalezione przez Rosiaka dokumenty potwierdzają, że w 1922 roku przebywający na Syberii Leon Supłatowicz z żoną złożyli wniosek o repatriację do Polski. Kolejne dokumenty to metryka chrztu Stanisława z listopada 1928 roku. Podano w niej datę urodzenia - 15 kwietnia 1925 roku, jako ojciec występuje zmarły Leon Supłatowicz, a jako miejsce urodzenia - wieś Aleksiejewki, koło Irkucka. Co się działo przez sześć lat pomiędzy 1922 a 1926 rokiem - nie wiadomo. "Te sześć lat to jest okno wyobraźni, kraina czarów, do której Stanisława Supłatowicz wchodzi sama, a wychodzi z niej w towarzystwie Sat-Okha, syna polskiej rewolucjonistki zesłanej na Sybir i Wysokiego Orła, wodza Szewanezów. To gdzieś w tym miejscu kończy sie świat zapisany w dokumentach, a zaczyna - świat wyobrażony przez Sat-Okha" - pisze Rosiak.

Podobno Sat-Okh wyglądał jak Indianin, chętnie też przebierał się w indiańskie stroje. Jednak ci, którzy pomagali mu pisać książki, jak Leszek Michalik wyznają, że wiedza Sat-Okha na temat Indian była bardzo pobieżna i płytka. Nie znał się na geografii Ameryki, nie odróżniał poszczególnych plemion, myliły mu się podstawowe fakty z indiańskiej rzeczywistości. Więcej - można prześledzić, jak jego opowieści wzbogacały się z upływem lat o szczegóły i sceny, które pojawiały się w fabułach kolejnych wchodzących na ekrany westernów.

Jak pisze Rosiak, Sat-Okh nie był jedynym autorem własnej legendy. "Ludzie zadawali mu pytania, Sat-Okh odpowiadał, czasem to oni odpowiadali za niego, dopisywali mu własne wyobrażenia o tym, kim powinien być +polski Indianin+, jak powinien się zachować, co powinien przeżyć. Najpierw mówili o nim ci, którzy go znali, potem – gdy najstarsi przyjaciele Sat-Okha umierali – opowiadali ci, którzy znali jego znajomych, potem jeszcze ci, którzy słyszeli coś od tych, którzy coś słyszeli. Chcieli mieć polskiego Indianina, sami ubarwiali jego życie".

Z opowieści Rosiaka wynika, że indiańskie pochodzenie Sat-Okha jest bardzo mało prawdopodobne. Wygląda na to, że u źródeł legendy stoi Stanisława Supłatowicz, która w latach 20. wróciła z Syberii do Polski bez męża, ale z synkiem, który bardzo słabo mówił po polsku, a koledzy przezywali go "Bolszewikiem". Prawdopodobnie to ona wymyśliła dziecku nową, bajkową tożsamość, egzotyczną, wzbudzającą zainteresowanie. Nie wiadomo, kiedy i czy w ogóle Stanisław uznał, że to prawdziwa historia jego życia. Rosiak nie wyklucza, że za konfabulacjami może się kryć jakiś dramat z czasów wojny, którego nigdy nie poznamy.

"Sat-Okh, dziecko wojny, przerażone rozpadem świata, wymyślił sobie rzeczywistość, w której zamiast krwawego chaosu panował idealny porządek, a to co naturalne, stapiało się w jedno z tym, co nadprzyrodzone. Jego życie było triumfem wyobraźni spragnionej dobra, niezgodą na męczarnię współczesności" - podsumowuje Rosiak.

Czy po latach wyłoniła sie prawdziwa historia Sat-Okha – jedynego polskiego Indianina?

After all these years has the truth about Poland's sole NAI finally come to light?


Sat-Okh - image sourced from : onet.pl © Foto:Forum

Interview : Dominika Montean-Pańków | 4th October 2017

Stanisław Supłatowicz, znany jako Sat-Okh - syn wodza indiańskiego, Wysokiego Orła i Polki, uciekinierki z carskiego zesłania, która z Syberii przedostała się do Kanady. Po paru latach życia u Indian, matka z synem wrócili do Polski. Sat-Okh, były żołnierz AK, po wojnie stał się postacią medialną, autorem bestsellerowych powieści o Indianach. Taki do tej pory był powszechnie uznany życiorys jedynego polskiego Indianina. 14 lat po śmierci Stanisława Supłatowicza, Dariusz Rosiak* w książce "Biało-czerwony. Tajemnica Sat-Okha" odkrywa zupełnie inne fakty dotyczące jego życia.

Stanisław Supłatowicz also known as Sat-Okh was reputedly the son of an NAI Chief named High/Tall Eagle and a refugee fleeing from the Tsar's tyranny via Siberia to Canada. After a few years of living amongst the NAI tribe, mother and son returned to Poland. Sat-Okh fought with the Polish Underground Army and post-war settled to a career as a media sensation and best selling author of novels about NAIs. Up until now this was the popular belief of the extraordinary life history of Poland's only NAI. Following his death 14 years ago, Dariusz Rosiak explodes the myth in his biographical expose entitled 'White and Reds. Sat-Okh's Secret' which reveals completely different facts pertaining to his life.

- Stanisław Supłatowicz, czyli Sat-Okh, nie był synem indiańskiego wodza Wysokiego Orła. Jego matka, Stanisława Supłatowicz nigdy nie dotarła do Kanady
- Stanisława Supłatowicz nie była rewolucjonistką, skazaną przez carat na zesłanie. Na Syberię pojechała dobrowolnie za mężem, Leonem Supłatowiczem, który został zesłany za działalność przeciwko caratowi. Istnieje możliwość, że nie byli to jednak biologiczni rodzice Sat-Okha
- Stanisław Supłatowicz w latach 1932-1939 chodził do szkoły podstawowej w Radomiu, a nie – jak utrzymywał – spędzał dzieciństwo z Indianami w Kanadzie
- Wydając swoje najsłynniejsze książki o Indianach, Sat-Okh miał współautorów, którzy w dużej mierze przyczynili się do jego sukcesów literackich. Swojej pierwszej powieści, bestsellerowej "Ziemi Słonych Skał" na pewno nie napisał sam

- Stanisław Supłatowicz also known as Sat-Okh wasn't the son of an Indian Chieftain named High/Tall Eagle. His mother, Stanisława Supłatowicz never reached Canada.
- Stanisława Supłatowicz wasn't a revolutionary sentenced to exile. She willingly followed her husband Leon Supłatowicz who had been sentenced to exile for his revolutionary and anti-Tsar activities. It is possible that they weren't Sat-Okh's biological parents.
- Stanisław Supłatowicz attended elementary school between 1932-39 in Radom, not as was claimed that he spent his early years in Canada with the NAIs. - On publishing his most famous books on NAIs, Sat-Okh relied heavily on his co-authors/ghost writers who contributed mightily to his literary success. He certainly did not write his first novel, the best-selling "Land of Salt Summits" alone.

Czy decydując się napisać książkę "Biało-czerwony. Tajemnica Sat-Oka", był Pan przygotowany, że pewne rzeczy, które Stanisław Supłatowicz mówił o swoim życiu, mogą okazać się kłamstwem?

- When you decided to write 'White and Reds. Sat-Okh's Secret' were you prepared to discover that some of the details about his life given out by Stanisław Supłatowicz could turn out to be lies?

Nie byłem na to przygotowany. Zaczynając pracę nad książką, moim celem nie było zdemaskowanie go ani obalanie legendy. Chciałem opowiedzieć ciekawą historię, a ona okazała się zupełnie inna niż zamierzałem.

Pamięta pan moment, w którym po raz pierwszy pojawiła się myśl: "Może on to wszystko zmyślił?"

- Can you remember the moment when the idea first popped into your head that 'Maybe he had invented all of it?'

Tak, pamiętam ten moment. Pojechałem do archiwum do Radomia i znalazłem papiery dotyczące jego pobytu w więzieniu po aresztowaniu przez Gestapo na przełomie 1941/42 roku. Nie znam niemieckiego, zrobiłem więc fotokopie tych dokumentów, przywiozłem je do Warszawy, dałem znajomemu do przetłumaczenia i okazało się, że Stanisław Supłatowicz siedział w więzieniu za kradzież, a nie za to, że roznosił ulotki lub że był nieczysty rasowo - jak opowiadał w swoich życiorysach. To był moment, w którym pomyślałem, że muszę zmienić metodę poszukiwań. Do tej pory bowiem szukałem śladów potwierdzających jego legendę. Podawał na przykład, że ukończył AWF. Jak szalony szukałem więc wszelkich możliwych dokumentów świadczących o tym, że rzeczywiście skończył takie studia. W Gdańsku nie znalazłem śladu, w Warszawie też nie, nie wiedziałem, gdzie dalej szukać. Myślałem, że może zdał egzamin, ale papiery się zapodziały. To były tory, które prowadziły w ślepe zaułki. Po wizycie w radomskim archiwum, wiedziałem już, że nie mogę dalej szukać potwierdzenia tego, co Supłatowicz mówił, tylko otworzyć się na wszystko, co jest o nim dostępne. Pojechałem do Gdyni, do archiwum Polskich Linii Oceanicznych i Marynarki Wojennej, gdzie znalazłem cały zestaw pisanych przez niego życiorysów, w których sam sobie zaprzeczał. To nie były dowody na fałszerstwa, ponieważ ludzie często sobie zaprzeczają, nie pamiętają szczegółów itd., ale ten fakt pomógł mi przyjąć znacznie szersze spojrzenie na mojego bohatera. Dotarło do mnie, że piszę o człowieku, którego kompletnie nie znam.

Dlaczego tak długo mu się udawało? Nikt nie kwestionował tego, co Sat-Okh mówił o sobie, wszyscy mu wierzyli i przekazywali jego legendę dalej. Dopiero 14 lat po jego śmierci, Pan napisał książkę.

- Why do you think he got away with it for so long? Nobody questioned what Sat-Okh related about himself, everbody seemed to believe him and gave his legend longevity and credibility by repeating the stories. You waited 14 years after his death before writing this expose.

Z Sat-Okhiem jest tak, jak z Nikodemem Dyzmą – to porównanie przyszło mi do głowy po skończeniu książki. Dyzmie udało się zrobić karierę, ponieważ był potrzebny ludziom i nikt nie śmiał podważać jego wiarygodności. Otoczeniu potrzebny był absolwent Oksfordu, który rozwiąże problemy Polski i stanie się wybitnym premierem II RP. Sat-Okh także był potrzebny wielu ludziom. Otwierał Polaków żyjących w gomułkowskiej Polsce na egzotyczny świat, do którego wówczas nie było dostępu. Opowiadał o dalekiej rzeczywistości, gdzie kamienie mają głos, a drzewa, ptaki, zwierzęta są święte. To był inny język od gomułkowskiej czy gierkowskiej siermięgi. Sat-Okh w latach 60. stał się gwiazdą literacką, w latach 70. - medialną. Zaczął występować w telewizji, palił fajkę przed indiańskim tipi, nizał koraliki i opowiadał o indiańskich zwyczajach. Dzieciakom, którzy go oglądali, dawał poczucie przygody. Jego słuchacze dorastali, tworzyli grupy indianistów, które później przerodziły się w Polski Ruch Indian. Nikt nie chciał burzyć jego legendy. Ludzie albo się bali, albo zadawali sobie pytanie: po co mielibyśmy go demaskować? Przecież on niczego złego nie robi. Owszem, są wcielenia, które mogą być szkodliwe i złe. Przychodzi mi do głowy historia Binjamina Wilkomirskiego, Szwajcara, który udawał dziecko Holokaustu, budując swoją tożsamość nie tylko na kłamstwie, ale odwołując się do cierpienia innych ludzi. Zresztą doskonale mu się to udało. Jego książka – teoretycznie autobiograficzna – była uznawana za arcydzieło tego typu literatury, zdobywała wiele nagród literackich. Ostatecznie szwajcarski dziennikarz ujawnił fałszerstwo. W przypadku Sat-Okha było inaczej. On wymyślał piękne opowieści, które wyrastały z jego wyobraźni... Kłamstwa. Kłamstwa.

Miałby trudniej, gdyby powiedział prawdę kim jest?

- Would life have proved more difficult for him if he had revealed his true origins?

Ale on wierzył w to, że jest Indianinem. Tak się czuł i swojej indiańskości był wierny przez całe życie. To brzmi jakby był chory, cierpiał na jakieś urojenia, ale na pewno nie był schizofrenikiem w sensie klinicznym. Myślę, że on w którymś momencie stał się Indianinem, dla siebie i wszystkich innych ludzi. Indiańskość stała się jego życiowym powołaniem, a brak indiańskiej krwi przestał mieć znaczenie. Pewności dodało mu potwierdzenie jego indiańskości, kiedy pracując na statku "Batory", dotarł do rezerwatu Indian Kahnawake pod Montrealem, gdzie spotkał się z Mohawkami, a potem z kilkoma utrzymywał kontakt. Zapewne Indianie zorientowali się, że nie jest jednym z nich, ale co z tego. Duchowo nim był. Indianie mu w tym nie przeszkadzali, bo po co mieliby to robić. Dla nich ten przybysz z dalekiej Polski był także atrakcyjnym partnerem – pasem transmisyjnym do innego świata. Poza tym myślę, że doceniali jego fascynację rdzenną kulturą indiańską i oddanie ich sprawie.

Też tak patrzę na tę kwestię, ale jest pewnie sporo osób, które mogłyby poczuć się oszukane.

- I agree and this is how I would accept this reasoning, but what is certain is that many people would feel cheated.

To prawda. Są fakty, od których nie da się uciec. Nie był synem wodza Indian, Wysokiego Orła, jak się przedstawiał. Nie był pół Szewanezem. Zresztą, po polsku nie istnieje taka nazwa plemienia: są Szaunisi, albo Szawanezi, ale Supłatowicz wymyślił Szewanezów. Wymyślił sobie także dzieciństwo spędzone w obozie Indian, brata i siostrę. Wydaje mi się, że dla zrozumienia jego postawy trzeba też pamiętać o czasach, w jakich dorastał. Ludzie, którzy wychodzili z wojny pokiereszowani psychicznie, bez rodziny, samotni, niekiedy zmieniali tożsamość. Nie chcieli ciągnąć za sobą bagażu wojennego cierpienia; przyjmowali nowe nazwisko i wymazywali z pamięci swoje wcześniejsze życie. Obecnie zmiana tożsamości nie jest taka prosta, ale wówczas łatwo było zerwać ze starym życiem i stać się kimś innym. U Supłatowicza próba uwolnienia się od własnej tożsamości zaczęła się jeszcze przed wojną, kiedy wrócił z matką z Syberii i trafił do robotniczego Radomia, do dzielnicy Zamłynie, gdzie prawidłowością było, że dzieci pochodziły z wielodzietnych rodzin, a ich matki rodziły pierwsze dziecko w wieku kilkunastu lat. Stanisław był jedynakiem, a Stanisława Supłatowicz musiała mieć 45 lat, kiedy go urodziła. Jeśli rzeczywiście to ona go urodziła. Gdy matka i syn wrócili z Syberii do Radomia w 1928 roku, Stanisława miała 48 lat i była w wieku babć dzieci, z którymi jej syn chodził do szkoły. Wyróżniał się więc, był odmieńcem. A wiemy, jak dzieci traktują odmieńców. Zaczęli go przezywać "Bolszewikiem", dokuczać mu. Zbudował więc sobie świat, w którym mógł znieść obelgi i wykluczenie, a fundamentem tego świata była indiańskość. Być może to matka podsunęła mu pomysł, że jest wyjątkowy, bo jego ojcem jest indiański wódz. A on wiele lat później zbudował legendę matce, robiąc z niej zesłaną na Sybir rewolucjonistkę, którą nigdy nie była. To jego ojciec był rewolucjonistą. Leon Supłatowicz, garbarz z Radomia, bojownik PPS-u, brał udział w ruchu przeciw caratowi i został zesłany na Sybir. Jego żona, Stanisława Supłatowicz, po kilku latach rozłąki dołączyła do niego z własnej woli.

A jak było w AK? Mówił towarzyszom broni, że jest pół Indianinem?

- What about his time with the AK? Didn't he tell his colleagues that he was part NAI?

Bywało różnie. Jedni twierdzą, że mówił, inni nic nie wiedzieli na ten temat. Generał Kazimierz Załęski, ps. "Bończa", jeden z wielkich dowódców AK, w dzieciństwie mieszkał po przeciwnej stronie ulicy co Supłatowicz i chodził do tej samej szkoły kilka klas wyżej. Musiał więc wiedzieć, że Supłatowicz jest Polakiem i dzieciństwa nie spędził u Indian w Kanadzie, bo przecież uczęszczał do szkoły podstawowej im. Władysława Syrokomli w Radomiu od 1932 do 1939. Ale po wojnie Kazimierz Załęski opowiadał, że Supłatowicz był Indianinem. Dlaczego tak robił? Nie mam pojęcia. Myślę, że więź towarzyszy broni, która łączyła ludzi z partyzantki, była tak głęboka, że zrobił to dla przyjaciela, ponieważ razem walczyli i ryzykowali życie. Jeżeli Supłatowicz po wojnie chciał być Indianinem, to Załęski potwierdził to bez wahania.

W którym momencie jego indiańskie opowieści zaczęły wypływać na szerokie wody i zaczęło być o nim głośno?

- At what point did his NAI stories go viral and bring him to the attention of a much woder audience?

Z dokumentów, do których dotarłem, pierwsze wzmianki o tym, że jest polski Indianin, syn indiańskiego wodza i Polki, mieszkający na wybrzeżu, pojawiły się już na początku lat 50. Od końca lat 50., kiedy zaczął wydawał książki, stał się postacią medialną, silnie obecną w literaturze młodzieżowej i w telewizji.

Jego książki – czy to drugie wielkie kłamstwo? Podobno pisać nie umiał i zawsze miał współautorów. Na ile to byli współautorzy, a na ile autorzy?

- His books - is that the second great lie? Apparently he was illiterate and always worked with co/ghost writers. In reality what percentage of co-authorship played its part or were they in reality the actual authors?

Do wydania "Ziemi Słonych Skał" cały dorobek pisarski Supłatowicza to były życiorysy pisane w wojsku i dla pracodawców. Wynika z nich, że miał trudności ze sformułowaniem prostego zdania. Po prostu nie umiał pisać. I nagle w 1958 roku ukazuje się jego pierwsza książka "Ziemia Słonych Skał", która ma doskonałą konstrukcję, dobrze zbudowane postacie, piękne opisy przyrody i kwieciste metafory. Wiadomo, że jego współpracownikiem przy tej książce był jeden z najwybitniejszych twórców literatury młodzieżowej - Jerzy Broszkiewicz. Trudno jest oszacować, ile jest Broszkiewicza w "Ziemi Słonych Skał", a ile Supłatowicza. Jerzy Broszkiewicz nie żyje, nie wypowie się na ten temat. Na okładkach kolejnych książek Sa-Okha pojawiają się już nazwiska współautorów. Jeden z nich, Leszek Michalik, utrzymuje, że to on napisał "Głos prerii", dawał jedynie rozdziały do czytania Supłatowiczowi. Żona Sławomira Brala, który potem pisał pod pseudonimem Yackta Oya, twierdzi, że to jej mąż był autorem "Fortu nad Athabaską". Supłatowicz był kimś w rodzaju konsultanta, opowiadał, co chce napisać, robił szkic książki, potem sprawdzał to, co pisali jego współautorzy. Z rozmów z Leszkiem Michalikiem wiem, że był upartym redaktorem. Kiedy coś postanowił, nie pozwalał zmieniać, nawet wbrew faktom. Nie przyjmował uwag o błędach rzeczowych. Ostatnie książki Sat-Okha są już słabe, możliwe, że napisał je całkowicie sam, po wielu latach doświadczeń z literaturą.

Sat-Okh jako ojciec. Kolejna zagmatwana historia, tragiczna dla jego dzieci.

- Sat-Okh as a father, surely this latest revelation is a tragedy for his children?

Tak, tu znowu dotykamy faktów i to bolesnych. Kilka lat po ślubie wyprowadza się do innej kobiety, zostawiając w domu żonę i dwójkę małych dzieci: syna i córkę. Z nową partnerką wychowuje jej dziecko, traktując je lepiej niż własne, z którymi do końca życia utrzymywał znikomy kontakt. Być może w postawie Supłatowicza wobec własnych dzieci należy szukać odbicia jego własnej historii. Sat-Okh nigdy nie miał ojca, był wychowany jedynie przez matkę, jeżeli Stanisława Supłatowicz faktycznie była jego biologiczną matką. Nie wykluczam, że mógł być sierotą, którą Stanisława zabrała ze sobą, wracając z Syberii po śmierci męża i wychowywała jak własne dziecko. Pytanie, czy Supłatowicz nie powtarza tutaj pewnego mechanizmu: będąc dzieckiem adoptowanym, przyjmuje cudze dziecko, nie wychowując swoich. Nie chcę wchodzić w tanie psychologizowanie, ale akurat ten schemat bardzo silnie się narzuca.

W książce cytuje Pan wiele opinii ludzi, którzy znali Supłatowicza i utrzymywali, że był dobrym człowiekiem, który dzielił się z innymi wszystkim, co miał, a z drugiej strony potrafił być tak okrutny dla swojej córki i syna. Jak to jest możliwe?

- In the book you cite many opinions from people who knew Supłatowicz and maintained that he was a good and honourable man, sharing what he could with others and yet on the other hand he could be so cruiel to his daughter and son. Is that possible?

Zastanawia panią dlaczego potrafimy być dobrzy i źli jednocześnie? Tak zachowują się wszyscy ludzie, święci i potępieni. To jest banalna obserwacja, która jednak ciągle ludzi zadziwia: nasza małość, czasem podłość miesza się z przejawami szlachetności. Postacie ze spiżu występują wyłącznie na pomnikach. Oczywiście, dla czytelnika to jest poruszające, kiedy dowiaduje się jak źle potraktował własne dzieci, ale tak było.

Dziwna jest także jego relacja z matką. Podobno pod koniec jej życia nie zajmował się nią.

- He also, allegedly had a strange relationship with his mother. Apparently towards the end of her life he chose not to have anything to do with her.

On twierdził, że opiekował się matką do końca jej dni. Moja rozmówczyni, prof. Maria Bokszczanin, jedyna daleka krewna Supłatowicza, która pamięta tamte czasy, jest zdania, że było inaczej, tzn. że matką opiekowała się jej siostra, matka Marii Bokszczanin. Jak było naprawdę? Trudno powiedzieć. Moja książka jest w dużym stopniu relacją kim Sat-Okh był w oczach innych. Nie wszystkie fakty można zweryfikować w stu procentach. W biografii Sat-Okha jest luka pomiędzy 1922 a 1928, której nie umiem zapełnić. Gdzie konkretnie się urodził i kim byli jego biologiczni rodzice - nie wiadomo. To wiedziała tylko Stanisława Supłatowicz, ale milczała. "Biało-czerwony" jest bardziej książką o pamięci niż o prawdzie materialnej. Piszę o tym jak Sat-Okh został zapamiętany, na czym polegała jego legenda, jakie były motywacje ludzi, którzy tę legendę utrzymywali oraz jego własne motywacje w tworzeniu indiańskiej tożsamości. Proszę pamiętać, że to jest książka, opowieść, a nie praca historyczna. Odnalezione dokumenty często nie wystarczą, aby ustalić motywacje bohatera, określić, co kryło się za wyborami, których dokonywał. Z drugiej strony, właśnie te motywacje są dla nas najciekawsze, dotykają istoty człowieka. Prawda jest bardzo ciekawa, ale jeszcze ciekawsze jest to, co z prawdą robimy. Jak obchodzimy się z faktami, jak je wyginamy, wartościujemy, wymyślamy na nowo, chowamy przed światem lub pamiętamy inaczej.

Na koniec: powiedział Pan, że w swoim czasie ktoś taki jak Sat-Okh był Polakom potrzebny, dlatego się narodził. Czy w obecnych czasach jest nam nadal potrzebny?

- At the end of your book you stated that in his time, someone like Sat-Okh was needed by the Poles and that is why he was born. Do you still think the same today?

Myślę, że tak. Jego historia to opowieść o tym, co robimy z naszą wspólnotową wyobraźnią. Wydaje mi się, że nam jest ciągle potrzebne to, żebyśmy odnosili się do mitów, które funkcjonują w przestrzeni publicznej i wiedzieli na jakiej zasadzie one funkcjonują, co jest ich podstawą, jak budujemy naszą pamięć o ludziach i wydarzeniach, ponieważ to świadczy o tym, kim jesteśmy. Warto zastanawiać się, co kształtuje nasze mity i jak się do nich odnosimy. Dlaczego jedne mity akceptujemy, a inne odrzucamy.

Historia kształtuje nasze mity, to także widać na przykładzie życia Sat-Okha.

- History shapes our myths and this can clearly be seen in the specific example of the life of Sat-Okh.

Ważne jest jak wykorzystujemy historię, co z nią robimy. Dlatego potrzebujemy legendy Sat-Okha. To jest postać, która niesie nie tylko swoją osobistą historię, ale też opowiada o nas, o Polakach, o naszej zbiorowej wyobraźni i o ludzkiej naturze.

*Dariusz Rosiak – dziennikarz radiowy i prasowy, autor wielu reporterskich książek. W 2017 roku ukazała się jego najnowsza książka "Biało-czerwony. Tajemnica Sat-Okha".

- Dariusz Rosiak - radio and press presenter, author of many investigative and journalistic books. His latest book 'White and Reds. Sat-Okh's Secret' was published in 2017.

1939 - First female British war correspondent who broke the news of the Nazi invasion of Poland that started World War II has died, aged 105

- Clare Hollingworth broke news of Nazi invasion of Poland in World War II
- British journalist spent Christmas 1938 in the resort of Kitzbuhel, Austria
- The upmarket resort had been overrun with Nazis celebrating the festive period
- There, journalist Clare was able to infiltrate the Third Reich for her latest story
- She saw how Nazis were uneasy about Christmas - the birth of a Jewish child

By Jennifer Newton for MailOnline |Published: 10th January, 2017 | Updated: 11th January, 2017

Article by Clare Hollingworth who witnessed the invasion of Poland in 1939

Article by Clare Hollingworth who witnessed the invasion of Poland in 1939 as reported in the Daily Mail

Clare Hollingworth dressed upClare Hollingworth at Work

During her time in Kitzbuhel, Clare, pictured, never turned off her reporter¿s brain and with the town being crammed with senior Nazis, it was the perfect place to overhear gossip / A new book tells how Clare found the Nazis uneasy celebrating Christmas given it is the celebration of the birth of a Jewish child - image description dialogue as used in the Daily Mail article

Clare Hollingworth at play

The town's famous hotel, the Grand Hotel had been bedecked with Nazi flags and Jewish guests were told they would be no longer welcome as it became the favourite place to stay for senior Nazis. From her own collection - Clare is pictured at the hotel from the Daily Mail article

The first British female war correspondent Clare Hollingworth has died, aged 105. Ms Hollingworth broke the news of the Nazi invasion of Poland that started World War II. She spent her career reporting on the world's major conflicts for British newspapers. In 1939, as a rookie reporter in Poland, she borrowed a diplomat's car and drove into German-held territory, where she saw tanks, armoured cars and artillery massing. When the Nazis launched their invasion days later, she called British diplomats and her newspaper to alert them, hanging the phone out the window so they could hear it for themselves. Hollingworth lived her last four decades in Hong Kong after working from Beijing in the 1970s.

The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Hong Kong announced her death. It said: 'The FCC is very sad to announce the passing of its much beloved member Clare Hollingworth at age 105. 'Clare had a remarkable career as a foreign correspondent, beginning with the scoop of the century when she reported the start of World War II.' Tara Joseph, president of the FCC, added: 'We are very sad to hear about Clare's passing. She was a tremendous inspiration to us all and a treasured member of our club. 'We were so pleased that we could celebrate her 105th birthday with her this past year.' Details of the funeral arrangements and a wake at the club will be announced later.

As Christmas 1938 loomed, families across the country gathered together for the festive period unsure of what the future would hold. Nazi Germany had seized Czechoslovakia and annexed parts of Austria and the world nervously looked on trying to predict Hitler's next move. But rather than stay at home in Leicester and celebrate Christmas in the traditional way, journalist Ms Hollingworth knew there was a story to seek out. The then-27-year-old knew she had to spend her last Christmas before the Second World War in the Austrian resort of Kitzbuhel – trying to infiltrate the Nazis, which later landed her the biggest scoop of her career. And the story of her extraordinary Christmas in Austria is part of a new book about her life called Of Fortunes and War, written by her great-nephew Patrick Garrett. The book details how Clare and her husband Vandeleur Robinson went to Kitzbuhel, which had been a popular destination for well-heeled foreign visitors for more than 10 years. The former King Edward VIII and Ian Fleming, the author who created James Bond were regular visitors to the resort. But by 1938, it was overrun by members of the Third Reich, who clogged up the roads with their large black Mercedes cars. The town's famous hotel, the Grand Hotel had been bedecked with Nazi flags and Jewish guests were told they would be no longer welcome as it became the favourite place to stay for senior Nazis. Knowing there was a story to be had, Clare and Vandeleur stayed at a farmhouse in the town and even took skiing lessons. On the face of it, Kitzbuhel seemed like the perfect setting to celebrate a traditional Austrian alpine Christmas. But given the rise of Hitler, Christmas that year would be something Clare would never forget as the Nazis put their own spin on the festive season. The book tells how the journalist found the Nazis uneasy celebrating Christmas – given it is the celebration of the birth of a Jewish child and how the festive symbol of a star was feared similar to the Star of David or even the Soviet Red Star. Therefore, Clare noted how rather than celebrate on December 25, the Nazis decided to mark their own festival on December 21, on the night of the winter solstice. The celebration saw them honouring the Norse god Odin and hold a torch light parade. The only thing that resembled Christmas was the singing of the carol Silent Night, but even then the words were changed at the Third Reich's request. Then three days later on Christmas Eve, Clare witnessed all of the children in Kitzbuhel herded into a school gym. There they were ordered to listen to an address from Hitler's right-hand man Josef Goebbels which he said was going out to the 'entire German Fatherland.' And even though the residents of Kitzbuhel tried to celebrate the Christmas season as they always had, they too had to change. Nearly all Christmas greetings in the local newspaper were signed off with the phrase 'Heil Hitler.'

But during her time in Kitzbuhel, Clare never turned off her reporter's brain and with the town being crammed with senior Nazis, it was the perfect place to overhear gossip. Many thought they could speak freely as they were still inside the borders of the Third Reich following the annexing of Austria and all the time, Clare was picking up on useful snippets of information. And by the time her holiday came to an end, she and her husband wrote a series of articles for the Fabian Society. In her articles, she mused how the Nazis were just waiting to strike their next target and she wrote 'Was it now the turn of the Balkans?' Meanwhile her work thanks to her time in Kitzbuhel had obviously been noticed as just eight months later, she landed a job as a reporter on the Daily Telegraph. A week later in August 1939, she found herself in Poland staying with a British consul-general, who had a diplomatic car. The Germans had closed the road across the border to all vehicles apart from those carrying the flag - and Clare knew this and thought back to her Christmas experience. So she immediately asked to borrow the car, to go on a fact-finding mission into Germany, and, as it happened, pick up a few essentials like aspirin and white wine, then unavailable in Poland. The 'great gust of wind' which kicked off her career happened as she drove back along the road to Poland. Clare looked down into the valley and saw for the first time 'scores, if not hundreds of tanks' below her. These tanks were the forces of von Rundstedt's Army Group South, supported by Reichenau's 10th Army. '1,000 tanks massed on Polish border, Ten divisions reported ready for swift stroke,' shouted the headline after she called it into her boss, who was based in Warsaw. Three days later, she awoke to the sound of gun fire: it was September 1, the war had started, and she called Robin Hankey, the Second Secretary of the British Embassy in Warsaw. '[I said] Robin, the war's begun. He said rubbish, they are still negotiating. So I put the phone out of the window so he could hear them rolling in,' she recalled during Desert Island Discs in 1999. From there Clare's career went from strength to strength, reporting on the Second World War battles across Northern Africa, the Cold War, where she mixed with Soviet spies and even facing off with Algerian hostage takers. She later admitted she would go anywhere with her pearl handed revolver and that her other two essentials were just her 'toothbrush and typewriter'. But she once joked: 'But don't let anyone imagine I am brave, I am terrified of being stuck in lifts!'

Before her death, she suddenly lost her sight and she didn't stray too far from her home in Hong Kong. Her last position was as Far East corresponded for the Sunday Telegraph aged 70. The Foreign Correspondent's Club in Hong Kong still reserved a table for her at lunchtime calling each morning to check whether she will be joining them, up until her death. And when she was, they would always make sure her glass of wine was ready and that BBC News was on for her to listen to. Source : Daily Mail

Back to Top

Page refreshed : 9th September 2020 (G)